Friday, March 6, 2009

Pro-Life

For anyone who's been following my blogs, I know that I come across as very left wing, and in many if not most ways, I am. But I am pro-life in every sense of the term. I am against the death penalty, I am anti-war (though there have been some that were necessary), anti-suicide,and anti-abortion. I am even glad my dog died before my parents had him put to sleep. I value life, and don't believe that humans should control it.
For anyone who does not believe in God, I don't have a moral argument. But for those of us who believe the Bible, God says he is the one who created us. I remember a time when I was about 15, when I was reading the book of Isaiah...
That was probably the worst year of my life. I felt like no-one knew me for who I was. I would get in trouble for fighting, when I was just trying to get away. I was accused many times of lying, or faking sick, or things that were in some way against my sense of integrity, and that caused me to feel absolutely invisible. I got to thinking that I might as well be dead, and that "If I weren't a Christian, maybe I'd kill myself." I don't think I ever would have; I knew my Mom would be devastated, plus the line between thinking about it, and carrying it out is pretty thick. But it was still in my mind on a regular basis.
Also at that time, I turned to reading the Bible. I felt like God was my only real friend, so I made it a point to focus on that. When I got to the book of Isaiah, I read, "I knitted you in the womb." For years afterwards, I remembered "I knitted you in the womb; do not do anything to change that." I quoted this a million times, but it's not said like that. I looked for it a few months ago. It's not there. I believe it was God speaking to me, that caused me to be so certain of that statement.
In that sense, it was relating to suicide, and it was meant for me. But I believe it applies to everyone, and outside of that box. Life is sacred. The Bible does say, "I knitted you in the womb," and by that part alone, it follows, that we should not disregard it. If God made us, he can unmake us. If God made us, then we should not take over, deciding when to destroy his creation. Whether it involves a fetus, an elderly person, or any other person, we should not try to take control of the existence of any human being- ourselves, or anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment